Monday, March 21, 2011

Dominica

Before you even begin to criticize, we apologize for our silence. We've been busy.

On my way to splash bash!
This is Leeza here by the way. I do not feel like studying today so here I am updating our blog. A classmate put this status on facebook once "It's kinda hard to get out of bed when you know you are going to be studying 12 hours that day". I have made it out of bed fine but you can imagine how the blog got ignored. However, I apologize. On that note, how is Dominica? Here goes.

So, my partner in crime and I are here for medical school. It is Ross University. There is apparently some other school in this Country. *shocker*. Forgive me but my thoughts are going to flow rather randomly.

Some thai restaurant with a view of a creek/stream/river
First things first, there are less than 60,000 people in this country. I was listening to the radio and someone won an election by getting 6000 votes or thereabouts. I remember wondering how many votes the other person got or if there was another candidate at all. Oh, we see cows and there are chickens in our neighbor's backyard. There is also KFC and other expensive restaurants with delicious food.

So on to school sturvs...but even before that, let me gist you on the ordeal I went through before I left the US.
@nigerianchic
As most people know, I live in philadelphia. I wanted to save some money so I booked my flight out of new Jersey. The plan was to spend new year's in New York with Shola and both leave from New Jersey on Jan 2nd. On Dec 31st, I rented a car and drove from philadelphia to Maryland, Virginia and then New York. All in the name of saying hi to friends. Yall can't say I don't love my friends. Finally in New York, Shola and I went to an awesome New Year's Eve Party. The next day (new Years), I drove back to philadelphia to return my rental. Yes, I was too cheap to pay the extra $150 it would have cost me to return the car out of state! Anyways, I got on a bus and returned to New York. By the way, I got to meet @nigerianchic while I was in New York. She's smaller than I expected but still cute. Don't kill me Ada.
New year's eve.

On Jan 2nd, we (Shola and I) woke up bright and early and appeared at the Newark airport at 720am for a 905am flight. Granted, we might have been running a little late. We got in line and started waiting. Then Continental agents began calling flights. If your flight was at 8am, you got to skip the line and go straight to the front. When he called the 9am flight, it was about 8am. We tried to skip the line and the agent said "Your flight is at 905, I didn't call you yet". He was rather rude about it too but we went back to the line quietly. 820am, he finally calls the 905 am flight. We skipped the line and went to the agent at the counter. Unfortunately for us, she did not know what she was doing. She spent 15 minutes trying to get the attention of her supervisor to help her but by the time he showed up, the flight was closed. She then had liver to tell us we were late. I mean, we were late but that wasn't the reason we missed the flight. We were put on the next flight leaving on the 3rd. By the way, we were due in school on the 3rd. Missing our flight meant emailing landlords and school welcoming committee. However, we were together so I wasn't too sad. We went to a Hotel in Newark and spent the night. The next morning, airport runs again.

This time, we got to the airport before 630am. The flight was supposed to be 905am again. We got checked in and everything this time. However, only Shola got to leave because she had the last seat. I was on standby with 6 other folks. Before the flight left, we were asked to prove why we had to travel that day. Some couple going on their honeymoon got the last 2 seats. The rest of us were deemed fit to wait for the next flight. I had to go to the hotel. Alone. I hate aloneness. :( I even shed a few tears. But I packed my load and went back to the hotel. I later found out that the flight that we had missed the day before was not even full when it left.

Shola in our apartment.
The next day, Jan 4th, I was at the airport by 6am. I had checked in the day before so I went straight to the gate to inform the agent of my arrival. If there was going to be any standby leaving, it was going to be me. Luckily, I got to leave this time and it was welcome to Dominica!

Shola and I were reunited. I met the landlady. I saw school at night. Etc.. It was NOT COLD. Awesome. For $440/month each, we each have our room and bathroom, constant electricity, internet and maid service 2ce a week. Pretty good deal though I am sure it is expensive by Dominican standards.

The next morning, I went for orientation. Let us just say, I cannot remember how many lines I had to queue up in to get IDs, pictures, pay for stuff, get refunds, get insurance cards.. etc. All in all, it was a TIRING process but it got done.

Whale watching!
The next thing we did was sign up for a whale watching tour. This was fun. It was just fun to be on the boat.

Anyways, new place, new people, new friends. There are Nigerians everywhere. For the most part, we seem to be able to identify each other just by looking at each other. I even managed to get myself on the Organization of African Students executive board somehow. *shrugs*. I am cool like that. :) Oh and there is an RCCG here too.

Interesting tidbits about Dominica:
Dominicans LOVE Nigerian movies and music by the way. They are so proud of themselves when they recognize my accent as the one they heard in the movie they watched last night.
It is a village with internet, water, electricity, beaches and some paved roads.
A view from our balcony
Dominicans don't seem to get married very often - I heard of a woman with 8 children for a guy who had 2 other kids while he was with her and is now married to yet another woman. I also met another woman who had 3 kids for a guy and said she was not ready to marry. My hairdresser and I judged her. God forgive us.
Dominican men are like black men everywhere I go. They catcall, slow down to whistle at you, call you all kinds of variations of "african queen/beauty" et al.
Weed is cannabis.
Favorite beer is kubuli.
Plan B is called "Mis-take" pill.
Condom tag line: Ribbed for the wickedest ride.

Back to my random thoughts, sitting still, studying and eating added 10lbs to my weight. *hides face*. I've become more dedicated to the gym so some of that weight is gone. I am managing to find a balance with stuff. I also want more non Nigerian friends so I am joining more organizations next semester. I love my people, don't get me wrong. However, at this point, I might know them all so it is time to diversify. :)

Pretty Shola on our way to splash bash!
Oh, studies are good. Shola and I are doing fine now that we have bought gas after a 2 week period of cooking everything with the rice cooker.
 For the friends who feel like I am so far away, internet dey here o! I still use facebook mobile, I tweet, I have bbm, I have a magic jack line which americans can call free, I even have an email address and skype account. Don't use the excuse of me being out of the country as a reason to forget me. If I get back for holiday and someone dares to tell me, I couldn't reach you.... I will classify you as a "foolish" friend. That said, kisses and hugs from the tropics. Now let me go chew some sugar cane and read lipoproteins.

xoxo Leeza.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a journey and to know you are doing great, am truly happy for you. Medical school in another country and being able to survive the first few weeks is sure worth it all. Stay strong, hand in tight, success is not too far away.

    ReplyDelete